Just a Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember ITS JUST A GAME!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Answerin your questions about culinary

Go down 
+2
Vondom
PiNk*yOsHii
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PiNk*yOsHii

PiNk*yOsHii

Answerin your questions about culinary Empty
PostSubject: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:10 pm

This is how it is.

Our program is a 15 month program, in one year I'll have my associates degree and a 3 month externship -- and yes, I spelled that right. An externship is similar to an internship, but I HAVE to do this in order to graduate, and it's an externship because it's through connections of the school. Anyways, everyday -- we have to drop a stock and make a stock almost everyday. A stock can be either chicken, fish, vegetable, veal, and etc.. A stock is made up of 100% water, 50% bones, and 10% mirepoix (pronounced meer-puwah -- which is 25% carrots, 25% celery, and 50% onion) and cook this however long depending on what type of stock you are making. The next day when you drop the stock, you have to get a spider and strain the excess chunks of stuff in the stock, then strain through a china cap, then again through a chinoise (pronouced shin-wah). Then put it on ice and cool it quickly, then cater wrap it and put it in the walk-in.

Then our day starts.

In this class (fabrication) we start off with lecture and stuff, then we go into demo, then we go straight to fabricating whatever the school needs -- yesterday we did 50 red snapper, and 30 bass.. Then today we did 20 flat fish, 10 pork tenderloin, 10beef flank, and 10 chicken. Then we had to make shrimp scampi with rice pilaf and fish paupiette (pronounced popee-ot) with sauce supreme (pronounced soo-prem).. Yeah, today was really tiring.. Not to mention we had to make fish stock in the process along with fish veloute (pronounced vel-ootay) and tomato concasse (con-ca-say).

You also have to do it with a 10 minute window, which means -- he gives us a certain amount of time to cook everything, then let's say the window is 4 - 4:10? If your dish isn't in within those 10 minutes, your dish isn't taken at all, and you get a zero out of a 100. If your meat is under cooked, or over cooked, not cut right, not the right portion, not salted enough, too salty, if your sauce breaks, anything!! anything!! You get docked hella points.. He gave us 40 minutes to cook everything and plate.. And we usually have 3 dishes at once all with sauce and something on the side.. So yeah, it's pretty exhausting because you're constantly having the motto "with a sense of urgency"... And multitasking is a MUST!! If you can't multitask, you don't belong in culinary school.
Back to top Go down
Vondom
Clan Officer
Clan Officer
Vondom

PostSubject: Re: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:25 pm

wow ...... your relly into cooking huh thats great because i love to eat Razz

whats your fav thing to Make ?
Back to top Go down
AmazingHyzer
Clan Officer
Clan Officer
AmazingHyzer

PostSubject: Re: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary EmptyThu May 21, 2009 11:09 pm

i love food =]]]]]
Back to top Go down
PiNk*yOsHii

PiNk*yOsHii

PostSubject: Re: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary EmptyFri May 22, 2009 2:23 am

Haha I'm glad you guys like food so much! I do too :].. But this post isn't even close to all the shit we do.. It's just a small fragment of the stuff I do.. I should explain how test days go! Now those are a bitch!! lol!

And my favorite thing to make is...
pastries :]
Back to top Go down
italia

italia

PostSubject: Re: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary EmptyFri May 22, 2009 3:39 am

Wow.......that sounds really intense. I don't think if I ever decided to go to culinary school that I would of cut it, since cooking stuff on a regular basis has me stressing out already. Sounds like it's a good way to keep busy though, and I hope it all works out for you.

After you're finished with the program, do they place you in a job, or are you kind of out on your own looking for something? And come to think of it, I think the only reason I ever considered going to culinary school is because I like food, and I watch a lot of Food Network.
Back to top Go down
PiNk*yOsHii

PiNk*yOsHii

PostSubject: Re: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:40 pm

LOL I'm not sure if I want to work somewhere or own my own place.. So then I thought, hmm.. I have an idea! I'll work at all these different places, get myself known -- become a master chef and then work somewhere for a butt ton of money and own my own place at the same time which my bf can run, so I make double the income :].

Culinary school.. I'd suggest only go if you have a true passion for it. It's not one of those careers that makes a lot of money for how much work you do.
Back to top Go down
AWPSo.l337

AWPSo.l337

PostSubject: Re: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary EmptyFri May 29, 2009 2:34 am

I make pwn cakes and deliver them to pubstars
Back to top Go down
M4RT1N0
Dunced
Dunced
M4RT1N0

PostSubject: Re: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary EmptyFri May 29, 2009 12:40 pm

why is there so many threads about culinary.. damn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Answerin your questions about culinary   Answerin your questions about culinary Empty

Back to top Go down

Answerin your questions about culinary
Page 1 of 1